From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [scm] Use case: Sequence of changes
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2008 00:59:58 GMT
Hi,

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 9:50 PM, Justin Erenkrantz
<justin@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  At least I generally frown on development branches based on fear of them
>  >  evolving as forks of the codebase, but having short-lived and tightly
>  >  scoped branches sounds ok.
>
>  This is more of a social problem than a technical problem.

Yes.

>  FWIW, Chapter 4 of the O'Reilly SVN book has been rewritten to
>  incorporate the new 1.5 merging paradigms:
>
>  http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.branchmerge.html
>
>  Karl's book is also good with respect to branches:
>
>  http://producingoss.com/en/vc.html#branches
>  http://producingoss.com/en/release-lines.html

Good pointers, thanks! Perhaps we should put some pointers like those
and possibly some guidelines of our own up somewhere especially when
we upgrade to svn 1.5 so people can best leverage the new merging
features.

>  I believe our first priority should be to support our committers.  =)

Definitely, but that doesn't mean we couldn't have second or third
priorities as well. The Apache community is much larger than just the
set of committers, and I'm quite sure that committers are a minority
of all the people who use our version control infrastructure.

BR,

Jukka Zitting