From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject [scm] Advanced version control at Apache
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2008 10:19:32 GMT
Hi,

There's been a lot of recent discussion about the merits of different
version control systems and the features they support. Are such
features useful? Do we need them at Apache? How could we best
implement and support them with our current infrastructure? Should we
start planning for infrastructure updates to better support such
features? These are questions that I'd like to start working on here
at infrastructure-dev. If you're interested, you're welcome to join
me!

I'd like us to start collecting use cases that our current version
control infrastructure doesn't support out-of-the-box. We'll then
evaluate whether those are valid use cases, and look at ways how they
could be supported with Subversion or other version control tools.
Finally, with all the collected information, I hope that we could come
up with documentation on how to best achieve the use cases with our
current infrastructure or, if that's not possible or optimal, with
well reasoned proposals on how we could improve our version control
infrastructure.

To keep us focused on actual use cases, I propose that we start a
separate thread for each use case for discussing its merits and
implementation options. I hope this allows us to progress on multiple
fronts in parallel and avoids the apparent temptation to end up with
vague "X is better than Y" arguments. I also propose to use the [scm]
subject prefix on all related messages so people who are not
interested have an easy way to filter out the traffic.

We'll probably end up needing a wiki or an svn space (Roy suggested
/repos/asf/infradev) to coordinate the effort, but let's get started
with email and add other tools as we go.

I'll follow up with some of my use cases later today. Let's see where
we go from there!

BR,

Jukka Zitting