From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [scm] Advanced version control at Apache
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2008 02:37:03 GMT
On 28/02/2008, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

>  On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 12:19 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  I'd like us to start collecting use cases that our current version
>  >  control infrastructure doesn't support out-of-the-box.
>

> Just to avoid any misunderstandings: The reason many of the use cases
>  discussed point out at least some lack of functionality in Subversion
>  is just because we're only talking about cases that aren't supported
>  by default. Thus by definition all the use cases discussed reach
>  beyond the current (known) capabilities of Subversion.
>
>  There are a number of features in Subversion and supporting tools like
>  IDE integrations that enable use cases that would be impossible to
>  support with many other current SCM systems. But since I'm taking
>  Subversion for granted, I won't be raising such use cases as issues.

But these use cases need to be supported on any replacement system.
So any such cases ought to be documented, perhaps in the "Features
that systems must support" thread.

At this stage there's no need to identify which SCM systems don't
support a particular use case, but I think we do need to identify
which cases are known to be unsupported by some systems.