From Santiago Gala <santiago.g...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: git for other open source projects
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2008 16:13:33 GMT

El mié, 27-02-2008 a las 15:21 -0800, Jeff Hammerbacher escribió:
> we've used git successfully at facebook for thrift, memcached, and
> generally
> keeping blood pressure low.  since thrift has recently moved into the
> incubator i thought our opinions might be of use to the infrastructure
> dev
> team.

If you have used in practice git it would be great to know if a workflow
such as using git-svn (git- commands are deprecated now, so "git svn" is
preferred) works for you. It should be mostly unobstrusive for
subversion, other than commit message pollution (I'm not even sure if
the git-svn-id lines get up to the server)

Other issues you might know, such as windows use, IDE integration, etc.

I have only used git or git-svn in projects without IDE support and with
linux only. Also, read only except for some early experiments with
portals/bridges, and then I seem to remember git-svn couldn't commit, so
I exported patches. I use git-svn mostly for handy history browsing (to
read code) and also to keep small sets of patches as, in my experience,
sometimes bug reports can stay years unacted on, and I prefer to keep my
patches after report "just in case".

Regards
--
Santiago Gala