From Santiago Gala <santiago.g...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [scm] Features that systems must support
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2008 21:56:52 GMT

El mié, 27-02-2008 a las 10:52 -0800, Justin Erenkrantz escribió:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 10:28 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  * servers should run on a reasonable range of OSes
>
> I'll go so far and say as long as it runs on FreeBSD, we're happy.
>
> >  * clients should run on a wider range of OSes
>
> I think it *must* run on all *nix variants and Windows.  Dropping
> Windows support I think is a non-starter.  Or, are we willing to say
> we'll drop Windows support?

It all depends on use cases. It is not the same a tool I use to track
our current subversion setup for disconnected operation that switching
the whole ASF to it. I mean, I don't ever use windows, so I really don't
care personally about windows support. Obviously people that wants to
track a "vendor branch" while merging frequently, and contributing back
patches, will for sure care about what they install if they have windows
deployed.

So, while I'd say it is important to have the widest possible coverage,
I'd just document the status quo and ongoing efforts.

> >  * command-line should be supported
> >  * GUI should be supported
>
> What type of GUIs?  What about integration with IDEs?  Eclipse?
> IntelliJ?  Are we okay with losing IDE support?  Or, take the opinion
> that if we switch, they'll eventually add support - this is what we
> saw with Subversion, but maybe we can convince folks to lose their IDE
> integration for a few years while the downstream IDE developers play
> catch up.  -- justin

Most "modern" dSCMs have rudimentary IDE support, if any. git has a (i'd
say alpha) eclipse plugin.

Regards
Santiago

--