www-history mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: missing decission on the Apache name
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2002 11:47:19 GMT
On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Thomas Eibner wrote:

> Rich (and everyone else)
>
> Might this be the missing discussion we were trying to find?

> Date: Fri, 10 Mar 1995 05:13:28 -0800
> From: Cliff Skolnick <cliffs@steam.com>
> To: new-httpd@hyperreal.com
> Subject: name
>

> We need to pick a name for this project.  I don't remember
> getting a consensus about apache, but perhaps I missed something.
> Ideas? Thoughts? Rants?
>
> Cliff

To me, this indicates that there was a prior discussion, which is
therefore missing from the archive. In this mythical discussion, clearly
*someone* proposed the name Apache. So, yes, this is *referring* to them
missing discussion.

Remember that in these days, none of these folks had met one another,
spoken on the phone, or otherwise communicated in any fashion other than
email and usenet. Hmm. I guess I had not thought about usenet. We should
search the google usenet archives. While the discussion *may* not be
archived, the name Apache was certainly suggested by someone in an email
format at some point. I'd like to know who and when, and, more
importantly, why, to see once and for all if it really was simply "a
patchy server" or if the respect due to the Apache people was in fact
there from the beginning.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
ReefKnot - http://www.reefknot.org