www-history mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: quotes collection
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2002 11:43:43 GMT
On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Thomas Eibner wrote:

> Digging through the old mboxes and I'm noting messages that are funny or
> just has a good comment in them to be added to a future quotes file that
> might be useful or useles who knows.
>
> I guess it might be a good idea to get the authors approval to use the
> comments?

Oh, yeah, I suppose we need to do that. Publically-archived mailing
lists are a strange beast, copyright-wise. All of these quotes are
already on the web, and may be considered to have been said publically,
such as a public speech, and so may be quoted without permission, with
attribution, without any risk of copyright infringement. That being
said, it would be nice to ask. Of course, if any of them say no, then we
will be obliged to honor that - ethically, if not legally.

--
Pilgrim, how you journey on the road you chose
To find out where the winds die and where the stories go