www-history mailing list archives

From Thomas Eibner <tho...@stderr.net>
Subject ROADMAP
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2002 03:38:00 GMT
To get something rolling I'm posting the initial roadmap for what Rich
and I envisioned for the History Project.

--start roadmap

The History Project aims to research and collect information related to:

General History of Apache httpd
  * Before Apache
  * Why Apache
  * Initial Development Team
  * How Apache became one of the most successful OSS projects to date
  * Changes in Development Environment (1
  * Casestudy: Apache Development model (and how it has evolved)

Apache httpd Release timeline
  * Release Date
  * Changelog / Release notes
  * Tarball
  * Usage statistics
  * Other Important Release informaton
      Version
      Release Manager
      Security Fixes
      New Directives
      Changed Directives
      State (Alpha/Beta/GA)
      Etc.

Apache Software Foundation History
  * How ASF was formed, legal issues. (2 (3
  * Project Profiles
  * Member Profiles
      First List Post
      Description of work done for project

Subprojects History
  * Convince at least one person from each project to participate and
    maintain history of that project.
  * Short historical description
  * Usage statistics
  * Same project parts as the httpd history projects

Quote collection from development lists
  * Historical comments
  * Funny comments

(1 Jim:
Also useful, I think, would be a description of how the actual
coding environment changed, from people submitting patches and one
person being responsible for folding them into the code, the
"3 +1s" required for a patch to be included, review-then-commit
vs. commit-then-review, etc...

(2 Mads:
[15:37] <quasi> That could actually be _very_ interesting - along with stuff
          about how the foundation was formed - legal issues and stuff

(3 Rich:
[15:38] <DrBacchus> quasi: Actually, it's one of the *most* important things,
          in my mind, as it falls under the "what works, what doesn't work,
          why Apache is successful" header.
[15:48] <DrBacchus> One of the most important roles that Apache plays, apart
          from being a damned fine product, is as a model of how OSS projects
          are *supposed* to work.
[15:48] <DrBacchus> Folks inside the project often don't see that aspect of
          things.

--
  Thomas Eibner <http://thomas.eibner.dk/> DnsZone <http://dnszone.org/>
  mod_pointer <http://stderr.net/mod_pointer> <http://photos.eibner.dk/>