www-community mailing list archives

From "Storm-Olsen, Marius" <Marius.Storm-Ol...@student.bi.no>
Subject Open Source Organizational Culture
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2014 14:01:38 GMT
?

Hi,

As part of the research into a thesis on Open Source Organizational Culture, I want to send
out a short survey to the Apache organization. However, given that the Apache community is
so large, with numerous individual projects under its umbrella, I wanted to check with the
community list first; both to seek explicit permission for doing so, and to figure out what
would be the best way to send out such a survey without "spamming" the community.

The survey is short (10-15 minutes), and the results - with raw but anonymized data - will
be public, and available to the whole Open Source community. The larger the participation,
the more statistically relevant data, and the better we can interpret the results across OSS
as a whole.

I have included the email I would want to send out below, for your consideration.

Sincerely,
Marius Storm-Olsen

------

Hi,

I would like to request your participation in a survey on
    Open Source Organizational Culture,
which will provide valuable insight into how Open Source projects are run, how their participants
act, how they might change going forward, and how particular Open Source projects compare
with one another and with traditional business cultures. The survey will take 10-15 minutes
to complete.

    http://bit.ly/OSOCAS2014

Why?
----
The survey will be used as part of my thesis on Open Source Organizational Culture at BI Norwegian
Business School (www.bi.no/en<http://www.bi.no/en>, or www.bi.edu<http://www.bi.edu>),
but in true Open Source spirit the raw - but anonymized - results will be open for all. So,
your Open Source project will be able to massage and dissect the results any way you wish,
and see how you compare with other projects out there.

Up until now, most research in Open Source culture has been based on mining mailing lists
to find out how people act, who they interact with, and how projects organize themselves.

In this research we would rather ask the participants directly about how a project is managed
and what should change for the project to be spectacularly successful.

When?
-----

The survey is open now through May 1st.

Where?
------

The bit.ly address brings you to the following survey

     https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/1587798/osocas-2014

Remember that you can save your progress at any time and come back to the survey at a later
point when you have time to finish it.

Who are you?
------------
My name is Marius Storm-Olsen, and I am currently working on a thesis on Open Source Organizational
Culture. I've been an active part of Open Source for years, most notably on the Qt and Git
projects. Although I have my own experiences to draw on in the thesis, they do not qualify
for the Open Source community at large, hence the survey.

How to help?
If you want to help, feel free to forward this email to any Open Source project you would
want to participate the survey. Once you have send the invitation, please either send me an
email with the name of the project, or update the table shown on

    https://github.com/mstormo/OSOCAS/wiki

I do hope you can participate, and thank you for your consideration!

Best regards,
Marius Storm-Olsen