www-community mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Committer Acknowledgement from Apache Community
Date Wed, 08 May 2013 14:06:04 GMT
Note that you should be somewhat cautious when people ask for formal
documentation.  However replying to an email with a pointer to our
committer webpages (or any other publicly available, factual
information) is always fine to do.

So yes, if the person is a committer, it's fine to let the requester
know that, and you can factually state your relationship to the project
(I.e. VP/chair or PMC member).  But we generally don't write
"recommendation" letters for individuals when wearing PMC or Chair hats.
   You're obviously free to write that kind of thing as an individual
from your personal email address, if you want to.

Sometimes simply saying "yes, they're a committer, and this webpage is
the ASF's official listing of committers" is good; that makes it
explicit to the outsider that our apache.org web pages are definitive.

- Shane