www-community mailing list archives

From eduardo pelegri-llopart <pele...@calterra.com>
Subject Experience with Contribution Agreements
Date Wed, 16 Feb 2011 00:34:25 GMT
Hi there.

Matthias suggested this would be a good alias to ask for experience at
ASF on Contribution Agreements.  Some of you may remember me from my
Sun days; I'm now working at RIM and as I apply my experience to our
projects I notice situations I had not considered/encountered at Sun
[2,3].

The Apache contribution agreement [1] does not seem to include a
mechanism by which a signatory of the CA can indicate that future IP
is no longer covered.  Not something to revoke previous contributions
but just for the future, say to be clear of his/her intentions.  Is
that correct?  If so, is it because the need has never arisen?,
because its hard to do legally?, because it is very easy to do?, or
something else?  BTW, as far as I know, Sun didn't have any such
mechanism either.

Thanks,
  Eduard/o (Pelegri-Llopart) - OSS @ RIM

[1]http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt