www-community mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Consulting rates
Date Mon, 08 Nov 2010 16:54:54 GMT

On Nov 8, 2010, at 10:52 AM, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> On 8 Nov 2010, at 15:37, Rich Bowen wrote:
>
>> I've been asked to take a little consulting job, and inevitably the
>> "what do you charge" question came around. I have not even the
>> vaguest idea. Can someone give me a feel for what the ballpark is
>> these days? (Eastern USA, if it matters.)
>
> Happy to help - what is roughly the task ? And where does the
> customer see the value of you (speed, quality, sheer complexity/rare-
> skill, name/reliability) ?

The task is in the trivial-to-easy range - configuring a somewhat
common kind of proxy scenario. It's the kind of thing that I'd answer
for free on IRC a half-dozen times a day. As I understand it, the
customer feels that their application is secret in some way, and they
want confidential tech support. The whole NDA business and everything.
My value is my reputation with mod_rewrite.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com