www-community mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <santiago.g...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: "Forking is a Feature" reactions?
Date Thu, 16 Sep 2010 19:27:11 GMT
On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 5:14 PM, Dirk-Willem van Gulik
<dirkx@webweaving.org> wrote:

>>> And how is that dependent on the version control tool? See, it isn't.
>>> It's a function of the community's value system.
>>
>> In his repository he can just commit.
>
> And hence there is no penalty to do so - the only social capital involved is your own.
There is no need to consider a wider range of use cases. You are an isolated artisan.

>> Whether that gets merged to the
>> "official" repository is a different question. And only for *that* it
>> is the same value system.
>
> I guess for me this is the story of the very competent Artisan; the amazing artist and
all the works of incredible sophistication we got to see until the mid 1700's. Which did allow
others to stand on the sholders of prior workers and mentors - but rarely gave whole ecosystems
a boost. Even the building of cathedrals had this temporal dynamic - and few are 'integrated'.

This was mostly because an architect needed to spend a substantial
part of her life just to visit, say, Cordoba and learn from the
Mosque, or Reims, or whatever place. And also because reproduction of
text or figures was lowres and damned expensive.

git puts your forks in open sight, a person can get familiar with the
status of the whole network of forks or, say, bottle.py in a matter or
hours or a few days at most: http://github.com/defnull/bottle/network

In most projects I've seen most "forks" are just for small patches or
adjustments, and the maintainer can monitor them and pick up good
patches even without fetch requests, specially when suggested by third
party users...

I mean the technology makes mucho more easy to compare cathedrals now
than it was in the middle ages...

> While leading to a certain time of innovation - the industrial revolution and the internet
today provides us with a different type of amplifier - which goes way beyond mere communication
- it is furthering a different quality.

> And I certainly believe that a certain cost/pressure to make your contributions cleaner
& wider usable is helpful as for social cohesion and leads to better build foundations.