www-community mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: "Forking is a Feature" reactions?
Date Wed, 15 Sep 2010 16:06:06 GMT

On Sep 15, 2010, at 11:50 AM, Santiago Gala wrote:

> I see the "dscm is an unsuitable workflow for collaborative
> development" meme as this: a meme.

I don't see it as unsuitable. I see it as different. It's different in
a lot of ways, but is neither better nor worse. The insistence that
it's better is no less annoying than the insistence that it's worse. A
lot of my personal resistance to git has been, since the beginning,
that people have told me I'm an idiot for using svn. That kind of
persuasion hasn't been persuasive.

Now that I've used git, it seems like just a different way of doing
the same thing. And not different in ways that I found appealing. Just
different. So I had to learn how to do exactly the same things in new
ways. This didn't seem like progress to me.

I've read dozens of articles about how it's so much better, including
several by you, Santiago, and while I follow your reasoning, it didn't
coincide with my experience in the real world. And, yes, I did use
github, and I simply don't agree that using a website to manage my
code is somehow more wonderful than using svn command-line tools. The
reality was that, as a creature of habit, moving my stuff to a web-
centric interface, made me forget about the project that I was working
on. Fortunately, every time I read something about the superiority of
github - which is about once a week - I'm reminded that it's out there.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com