www-community mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Are devs who work on or use open source happier in their employment?
Date Thu, 23 Sep 2010 16:29:01 GMT

On Sep 23, 2010, at 12:02 PM, Michael McCandless wrote:

> Well, I know I personally feel this way!  I've worked on closed source
> search engines a good while, and now Lucene/Solr for a good while, and
> I know which one makes me happier ;)

I hear ya.  The interesting thing for me, is it isn't just about contributing to open source,
either, though.  It's about working with it, even alongside/with proprietary solutions.  At
the end of the day, I want to choose what is best to solve the problem not have it decided
for me b/c that's what I happen to have a license for.

> And I suspect that's a good strategy by this client of yours..
>
> I know once I finally have to move away from my sponsor, being free to
> work in open-source will be a strong requirement for whatever I do
> next.
>
> As for "real" references, I think this video is delightfully relevant:
>
>  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc

Very cool and well worth watching!

-Grant