www-community mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: "Forking is a Feature" reactions?
Date Wed, 15 Sep 2010 18:51:32 GMT
----- Original Message ----

I didn't mean to imply that using svn guarantees success.  Far from
it, success at Apache is pretty challenging for Incubating projects.

> >  IOW before
> >  you start that work on a snazzy new feature, you have to explain to  people
> > what you're doing and why, and to set expectations for the final  outcome.
> > That's because they will be exposed to your work whether they  like it or
> > not, because it all gets thrown onto the commit  list.
>
> Only if you actually have the right to commit. Which is exactly one  of
> the points mentioned before.

Well if someone shows up on a dev list and says all those things, and has
a little bit of an early implementation to review, seems to me they should
be allowed to work directly in the svn repo.  Yes, it involves someone
"promising" to do something, and the community actually making a minor
bet on their success.  Gradually people learn from the experience, and
if it's a positive one they continue to make collective bets on that person's
work product.  If it doesn't work out the committer disappears and nothing
much is lost.  I don't see what the big deal is about "right to commit"
as if it's inherently something difficult to obtain.  It shouldn't be that
way (PMC membership can be another story however, but that's not tied
to any vc tool).  It's just the "right" to do some work on the project
where full access to the vc tool is appropriate.