www-community mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Are devs who work on or use open source happier in their employment?
Date Thu, 23 Sep 2010 19:18:23 GMT
On 9/23/2010 10:37 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> At any rate, my motivation for asking is that I'm writing an article on some thoughts
in this area spurred by something a client told me (at a very old, established company, mind
you) about why they wanted to get the word out that they were using open source:  they felt
it would help them attract and retain developers b/c they would be more satisfied in their
jobs b/c they got to work on innovative open source technologies.

I'd actually think that your client is on the mark, and that the mythology
of working on open source is stronger than the actual variance, but where
there is perception, there is benefit to advertising their participation
in open source for prospective candidates.

Many of the real satisfaction questions to an engineer have more to do with
how dirty they get their hands into code vs. architecture vs. management, what
their working environment is like, relationships to peers and mgmt, and similar
factors.

Keep in mind that some engineers are more attracted to sub-sub-sub-basement
top-secret work and the thought of having to participate in an open and public
environment may be terrifying, or simply uninteresting to them.

If you really were to sample developers, I would think that how much using
open source also plays into satisfaction.  Simply being able to dig into the
flaws or implementation details in my support libraries was always the biggest
indicator of my job satisfaction, irrespective of whether I contributed back
or not.