www-community mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <craig...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: hi all.. suggest me a project
Date Wed, 21 Jul 2010 17:41:35 GMT
On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 8:43 AM, kambala balasubrahmanyam
<subbukambala@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to join in apache foundation.
>
> Can you please guide me which project is suitable for me or which needs
> resources
>
> I have very good understanding on following apache projects Tomcat, Struts
> and I have five years experience on java and J2EE technologies.

Which project(s) you might want to work with should depend more on
what your own personal interests are than on "needs resources".  One
of the nice things about open source projects, though, is that there
is no upper limit on how many people can participate, and also no end
to the potential improvements and bugfixes that could be worked on.
You can basically assume that all projects will always need resources
:-).

As to how to go about this with Apache projects, I would suggest
starting with some reading on the Apache "getting involved" page:

  http://apache.org/foundation/getinvolved.html

which has links to more information about the various ways to
contribute, starting from just using a product and giving feedback all
the way through becoming a committer that gets to help decide the
future direction of that project.  Just be aware that, if committer is
what you want to become, it can take a while -- but the more active
you are in the earlier stages, in general, the less time it will take.

Craig