www-community mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [apachecon] "Meet the developers" corner
Date Tue, 26 May 2009 14:45:53 GMT
Hi,

[Niclas had trouble sending this to the list. So here's a copy. --Jukka]

Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 21:59:11 +0800
From: Niclas Hedhman <niclas@apache.org>
To: community@apache.org
Subject: Re: [apachecon] "Meet the developers" corner

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 9:45 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sounds good, though I want to avoid the impression of the "Meet the
> developers" corner just containing a group of people with their backs
> turned and eyes staring at their laptop screens (which is what much of
> the hackathon area typically looks like to an outsider).

I think PMC Members in general should wear "Please, Ask me about X!!"
(X being their project) written on their backs. I think that helps the
Hackathon area a lot. If that is too hard to arrange, simple stand
"Please, Ask us about X!!" on each table is also a fairly open
invitation. I remember AC2008, it took me a while to locate people I
was looking for, and such sign would have made it a lot easier.

> Perhaps we could use this corner as a place for people to gather based
> on pre-announced time and topic, and they can then find a table where
> they can start hacking. We can put up a wiki page for that and ask
> interested people to sign up with proposed topics and times.

Yes, that sounds like reasonable as well. Each "developer" should know
when they are available, so if the time schedule is flexible at
beginning of AC, then the volunteers sets the time when they are
available, and 'audience' need to adopt (have to do that anyway).

> I'd also make the "Meet the developers" corner a hotspot for
> information on all such unofficial conference program, so that people
> could drop by there and get the latest update on what's going on. We
> could also hook this up with the @apachecon twitter account for
> sending out updates and messages like "User looking for project X
> developers, reply when you can drop by".

:-) How can I possibly survive without Twitter?

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er