www-community mailing list archives

From Ceki Gulcu <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: [apachecon] "Meet the developers" corner
Date Tue, 26 May 2009 09:22:09 GMT
Hi Jukka,

The idea is not entirely new. In ApacheCon 2001, there was a "meet the
developer" corner where I met Erik Meade, the maintainer of Junit at
the time. He was interested in some log4j feature so we pair
programmed for about two hours. It was a memorable experience.

There was however a major downside to "meet the developer"
corner. Each volunteering developer had to be present for several
arbitrarily-set hours. So, I missed a couple of presentations waiting
for people to show up, like a shoe seller awaiting clients.  Very few
people showed up. I was lucky enough to meet Erik, so overall it was a
very good experience.

Assuming there would be WiFi access during the conference, instead of
the developers idly sitting around, a wiki page could be created to
allow interested attendees and developers to prearrange a time for
their meeting.

Cheers,

--
Ceki Gülcü