www-community mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Java Service Wrapper
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2008 00:02:10 GMT
Thanks for bringing this up Roy, it was on my TODO list. I found it a
bit unclear on the site that this change had occurred, so I wasn't
sure if others would have noticed. Note that the sourceforge site
isn't necessarily the old site - the code stored in SVN there is still
the latest, GPL version of what I presume is the community edition.

I actually made a fix the other day and on going to contribute it back
found it was already present in the latest version, but that it was
now under GPL. I took a look at the release notes and didn't see
anything else that was of immediate interest to my projects. We'll
continue using the 3.2.3 delta pack for the default distribution.

Cheers,
Brett

On 03/04/2008, at 6:34 AM, Henri Yandell wrote:

> Raises the question of whether anyone has needed the
> improvements/bugfixes/whatever in the later GPL versions, and whether
> we should consider forking the old version.
>
> Hen
>
> On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 12:20 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
> wrote:
>> The Java Service Wrapper is being used (and sometimes
>> redistributed) by
>> many of our Java projects (ActiveMQ, ServiceMix, Geronimo, OFBiz,
>> Tomcat).
>> It was formerly available under an MIT/BSD style license, as can be
>> seen
>> in the 3.2.3 version at
>>
>>  http://sourceforge.net/projects/wrapper/
>>
>> More recent versions of the product are currently under dual GPLv2
>> and commercial licensing.
>>
>>  http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.org/doc/english/licenseOverview.html
>>
>> And yet no mention of its license is found in our documentation.
>>
>>  http://activemq.apache.org/java-service-wrapper.html
>>
>> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/How+to+Run+OFBiz+as+Windows+Service+with+Java+Service+Wrapper
>>  http://people.apache.org/~fhanik/wrapper.html
>>  http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyWindowsService
>>
>> and the only pages we have that refer to the old version are in
>> Geronimo
>>

>> http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC11/configuring-geronimo-as-a-windows-service.html
>>
>> http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC20/configuring-geronimo-as-a-windows-service.html
>>
>> If your project is currently distributing or telling users to make
>> use of
>> the Java Service Wrapper, please be sure that we only use the old
>> licensed
>> version, that our documentation points to the old site, and that
>> when we do
>> point folks to wrapper.tanukisoftware.org (which we should do
>> because some
>> users are not allergic to GPLv2) we should also point out that the
>> newer
>> versions are under different licenses (GPLv2/commercial).
>>
>> ....Roy

Brett Porter
brett@apache.org
http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/