www-community mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: women@a.o mail list
Date Fri, 28 Jul 2006 20:03:02 GMT

On Jul 28, 2006, at 9:03 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> On Jul 28, 2006, at 7:49 AM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>
>> The women@apache.org mail list was created in August 2005; the
>> initial
>> charter is at http://wiki.apache.org/Women/InitialCharter .
>>
>> We now want to take it to the next step and create a formal committee
>> (see the forwarded post below).
>
> Sorry, -1.  The foundation should not be building infrastructure
> around
> an inherently sexist and discriminatory group. [This comment has
> nothing
> to do with the participants -- it is the way the topic is defined.]
>
> If the discussion list has helped identify specific problems that can
> be addressed, or non-discriminatory topics (such as "communication")
> upon which meaningful work can be performed regardless of gender,
> then that is what you should be making a proposal about.

I tend to agree with Roy, but this might be a good chance to bring
forward a pet peeve of mine: there is more than just sex as an issue
to address when it comes to diversity. The first thing that comes to
my mind is the language barrier: while it's perfectly understandable
that Apache has been an english speaking community, this nevertheless
means we're somewhat leaving a lot of potential outside our fence. I
for one know a lot of people here in Italy who are either non or
under participating due to their poor (or perceived as such)
knowledge of English. Note: I don't have a solution handy, yet it
might be interesting to discuss the issue and see if we can do
something about it.

There are a few other potential discriminations, such as cultural and
logistical issues, not to mention technical problems due to the
increasing amount of bandwith that participation requires. I tend to
think there is some potential for an open discussion and maybe a call
to action to see what we can do to increase diversity as a value we
care about.

--
Gianugo Rabellino
Blogging at http://www.rabellino.it/blog/