www-community mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Internet mapping server and geographic projects at the ASF
Date Mon, 26 Dec 2005 17:42:25 GMT
Philip Mark Donaghy wrote:
> On 12/25/05, Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> wrote:
>> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>>
>>> You might want to take a look at what we (my group at MIT) did the
>>> international semantic web conference:
>>>
>>>  http://simile.mit.edu/conferences/iswc2005/
>> Sorry, this was meant to be
>>
>>   http://simile.mit.edu/conference/iswc2005/
>
> That is cool, I just added my name. Is it only the base map and the
> mapping api that is using Google. Is there an external data format or
> database storing the data?

All the data is in RDF and it's stored in a triple store (we use Sesame,
Warning: LGPL) and presented with Velocity templates and full text
search powered by Lucene. The code is available at

  http://simile.mit.edu/repository/semantic-bank/branches/conference/

and it's BSD-licensed.

I find it the most powerful to use a special view with faceted browsing
functionality, for example

  http://tinyurl.com/889w4

the application is fully RESTful, no cookie or session is used (which is
why the URLs are so big) but makes it very handy for bookmarking or for
exporting. For example, the (undocumented) way to get the data out is to
change the command=browse into command=export as in

  http://tinyurl.com/ahwek

which will give you the RDF formatted as RDF/XML.

If you want to know more, I'll be very happy to follow up privately or
you are welcome to subscribe to the general@simile.mit.edu mailing list
and ask your questions there.

--
Stefano.