www-community mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Internet mapping server and geographic projects at the ASF
Date Sat, 24 Dec 2005 19:33:24 GMT
Philip Mark Donaghy wrote:
> Inspired by the ApacheCon and a discussion during the closing talks on
> maintaining a virtual map of the world using devices carried by humans,
> I wish to propose a project at Apache that does that and more. I would
> like to seek out interested people who would like to work on mapping
> software at the ASF.
>
> The projects that interest me are,
>
> 1. A map server that shows the location of people at the Apache
> conference. This is for people who wish to remain accessible to others.
> This idea bothers some people. But as with any ASF project security and
> privacy are very important.
>
> 2. I wrote a portlet application for Jetspeed 2 which uses the MapServer
> project. This could be separated out as a generic portlet map server.
>
> 3. I would like to do a community driven social experiment as a way of
> gathering global data.
>
> 4. A generic Java map server project. I would like to build some better
> tools for authoring and publishing online maps.
>
> 5. Torsten Curdt spoke to me about his ideas of blogging by geographic
> location. Essentially all blogs are tagged with a location based on IP
> address.
>
> 6. I discussed a mapping project with Chris Schaefer. There is some live
> data being published by the california highway authority about traffic.
> It is text and html and lacks a mapping server so it is rather difficult
> to visualize the information.
>
> 7. Google is obviously leading the way in mapping technology. I would
> like to see an apache project that provides similar quality services. I
> am learning where my web traffic comes from using Google analytics. But
> they don't provide interactive maps.
>
> Please contact me if anyone is interested. Obviously the incubator is
> where this project will start but building the community is the first
> step. Happy holidays everyone!

You might want to take a look at what we (my group at MIT) did the
international semantic web conference:

  http://simile.mit.edu/conferences/iswc2005/

and note: we already have scripts that transform some of the ASF data
into RDF already.

As for an 'apache mapping' project, I think you *seriously*
underestimate the amount of resources required to run such a service.

Landsat 7 data is available as public domain, for a really nice little
program that uses you can check out WW2D

  http://ww2d.csoft.net/index.php?title=Introduction

which is a NASA WorldWind java+opengl clone (and amazingly fast! at
least on my mac).

There are two "tile servers" available to the public: one is run my
Microsoft (part of terraserver, *not* virtualearth), one is run by NASA
(as part of the infrastructure that powers WorldWind).

Landsat 7 has a resolution of 15m per pixel, while GoogleMaps is using
images from QuickBird (operated by DigitalGlobe) which has 0.6m per
pixel (but it's clearly not public domain ;-)

I would personally very much like apache to host the software that
clones the javascript part of google maps in an open source way, but
running the tile server is going to require massive amount of technical
infrastructure.

A much better idea is to partner with NASA and Coral

  http://coralcdn.org/

--
Stefano.