www-community mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: At what point do you unsubscribe/deny a misbehaving user?
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2005 11:50:39 GMT
Mark Thomas wrote:
> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>
>> I think ignoring is an excellent tactic for a developer's list. I worry
>> that isn't strong enough for a user's list, but I also wouldn't want to
>> embark on a path that could backfire.
>>

> Not exactly the same situation as yours but one of our users went off
> on one a few months back and it looked like a flame war was about to
> start. Rather than flame the guy (and boy was I tempted) I found that
> an extremely polite reply taking every care to be reasonable whilst
> quietly pointing out where he was wrong worked very well. I actually
> got half a dozen messages from other users saying something along the
> lines of "Great reply. I was about to flame the <insert favourite
> adjective/noun combination here> but your reply was much better." and
> best of all, not a single flame in response on the users list.
>
> For reference, my reply is here.
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&m=113114296007215&w=2
>
> Most of the credit for what I wrote should go to those who responded
> calmly to a similar rant of his on the dev list.

Reminds me of something that happened on cocoon-dev. One of the guys
responsible for the death of Avalon tried to spit his venom in Cocoon.

I replied with a fake SpamAssassin report:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=109792613001037&w=2

That could seems like feeding the troll, but the fact that it looked
like an impersonal machine-generated message actually made him disappear.

Sylvain