www-community mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: At what point do you unsubscribe/deny a misbehaving user?
Date Sat, 17 Dec 2005 17:07:27 GMT
robert burrell donkin wrote:
> i think perhaps that this is an issues of strategic aims verses
> effective tactics. a good atmosphere on the user list is vital and IMO
> jean is right to be concerned that those who could be contributing to
> the community are being scared away by the troll.

This is the crux of my concern. I'm not concerned about the people he
has personally poked so far -- they are seasoned developers who shrug
and roll their eyes. I grew concerned when I started receiving off list
questions that users didn't want to post on list and a couple outright
complaints that his behavior was inhibiting participation.

It's ironic because at the derby BoF at ApacheCon in Stuttgart two users
mentioned they prefer to send questions off lists to the key developers
because of flame wars (they didn't say which lists). I assured them that
derby didn't have flame problems -- famous last words. :-) We just
avoided it for a while.

All this feedback is helpful -- thanks to all (not just to Robert on
this reply). I'm convinced that unsubscribe/deny is a complete waste of
time and will abandon that notion.

I should mention that a couple ignore strategies we have used include
(1) respond to a post in the thread that raises a given issue without
including anything the troll has posted (2) delete the trollish phrases
in a reply. I think both of these are solid. I'll look at the jakarta
lists for how the OT FUD was handled.

thanks for all the tips and suggestions,

  -jean