www-community mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Netiquette: Is there an issue, and can we make the ASF more welcoming?
Date Mon, 08 Aug 2005 15:37:29 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Le 8 août 05, à 14:50, David Crossley a écrit :
>
>> ...However, Henning's analysis is spot on. The necessary
>> brevity could appear as harsh to some newcomers. Perhaps
>> a page of tips about such issues might help such people
>> feel more comfortable, and so we are all more productive...
>

> Agreed - brevity is because we're busy and we want to save the time of
> our busy colleagues, so it's worth telling newcomers that it's not
> harshness.
>
> -Bertrand

I'm also known for being too brief/concise. As Bertrand stated, my goal
is efficiency given so much email to wade through; however, I also
realize it can lead to misunderstandings. Lately I've been adding a
sincere "If that page/post doesn't help, please be sure to post back to
this list!"

Documenting that brevity should not be taken as harshness is a great
idea and I'll go update http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_mail.html --
but that also assumes the reader has found the page with that wording.

  -jean