www-community mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Netiquette: Is there an issue, and can we make the ASF more welcoming?
Date Sun, 07 Aug 2005 21:11:21 GMT
I'll post here what I've told Noel and others elsewhere.

At ApacheCon Eu two men who attended the Derby BOF said they don't like
to post to user lists because of the flame wars. One went further to say
that he doesn't always have the time to thoroughly research the
documentation and mail lists for a given topic. Both said they prefer to
seek out knowledgeable developers and ask their questions off-line.

My experience at Apache has been good, so I was surprised to hear two
users say they were reluctant to post to mail lists. They didn't say
which list(s) had flamed them.

At any rate, contacting people offline works directly against community
building (not to mention being a time sink for those being contacted
offline), so whenever I receive off-list email I respond by encouraging
the sender to re-post to derby-user or derby-dev.

Out of this I guess I'd suggest for Netiquette guidelines that abrasive
rtfm's are counter productive. Courteous pointers to existing
documentation and/or posts are productive.

   -jean