www-community mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: .apache Freenode cloaks available
Date Thu, 05 May 2005 22:53:01 GMT
--On Friday, May 6, 2005 12:35 AM +0200 "David N. Welton"
<davidw@dedasys.com> wrote:

> Would it perhaps be wise to stay away from strongly identifying people
> with the ASF in such an informal setting?

I don't really think it's *that* strong of an identifier.  The cloak just
removes your hostname on IRC and replaces it with
'<userid>.committers.apache' when you do a 'whois' on the user in Freenode.
I view it as fairly harmless and much less so than giving people
@apache.org email address.  =)

BTW, we had discussed this on board@ and infrastructure@ a while ago; but
we didn't actually add any cloaks until today.  -- justin