www-community mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Wikis for Geeks: anyone have a wiki that supports CVS/SVN for users?
Date Tue, 26 Apr 2005 18:13:32 GMT
On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 11:26:26AM -0700, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> There is SVNwiki, but it only uses SVN as the database backend; it's not
> designed to have the content also be edited directly, though someone could
> carefully do that.
>
> The issue is that Wikis do things to data on the way in, from syntax
> checking to (perhaps) glossary-izing, as well as to the data on the way
> out.  Viewing the raw data in a simple text editor results in something
> that may be hard to read; editing the data may result in an inconsistant
> Wiki database.  Just like calling SQL directly on data stored in a DB
> avoids the normalizing that application logic applies to it.

Nah. I have yet to see a wiki do any checks on input. They're just
very lenient on output.

And there isn't any problem with poor integrity with writing straight
to SVN. SubWiki depends upon a commit hook to index pages. No matter
how you make a change (whether thru the interface, via SVN, or via
WebDAV) the hook will run and the page will be indexed.

Dunno how SVNWiki does it, but I know SubWiki is safe for multiple
avenues of changing it. By design :-)

Regarding its status: it is still being developed, albeit a bit
slowly. It recognizes all the MoinMoin wiki syntax except for tables.
It does not have all of the macros. It has some very basic
authentication and authorization stuff -- I'm mid-process on adding
cookie-based auth to the system.

Cheers,
-g

--