www-community mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: [ANN] Avalon Closed
Date Mon, 20 Dec 2004 04:53:00 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>>That doesn't mean it's fair, or even matters that much.
>
> Passing judgement on someone often doesn't matter much, except to the
> 'convicted'. "Not guilty" vs "4 weeks in jail with parole" can change
> someone's life dramatically.
> Never-the-less.

Someone could write a novel on all the ways I've failed with respect to
the James project.  Did you see that huge list of terrible dependencies?
  I was the original code donator that got convinced to adopt to this
Avalon product (...that was only a few months away from releasing this
great server platform.)  Hell, we're still losing to sendmail!

I just don't know what the big deal is about failing an open source
project.  I certainly would never compare it to a conviction, guilt, or
jail.

> Are you hinting that ASF's significance will diminish over time, as it is
> unable to cope with its own growth in light of the legacy?
> Is there a scalability issue with OSS in general? In ASF?
> Are there long-term problems of keeping smaller projects healthy? How about
> the larger ones? Do they need the benevolent dictator with his lieutenants?

In a word, "dunno."

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501