www-community mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Microsoft warns Asian Gov'ts -- puts Linux users on notice
Date Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:54:35 GMT
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> "Linux violates more than 228 patents, according to a recent report
>  from a research group", Microsoft Chief Executive Steve Ballmer
>  said at the company's Asian Government Leaders Forum in
>  Singapore.  "Someday, for all countries that are entering the WTO,
>  somebody will come and look for money owing to the rights for that
>  intellectual property."
>
>  ref:
> http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/biztech/11/19/tech.microsoft.linux3.reut/index.
> html
>
> We don't need to worry about managing Linux IP, but in my view, this is far
> from an isolated event.

I particularly liked the bit about "nobody ever knows who built the
open-source stuff."

Au contraire, I know exactly who built the open-source stuff, and I have
no clue whatever who built the MicroSoft stuff. What kind of strange
double-talk are they practicing?

--
Rich Bowen - Rbowen@RCBowen.com
Apache Cookbook - http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/apacheckbk/