www-community mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: Open Source, Cold Shoulder (fwd)
Date Fri, 08 Oct 2004 22:25:18 GMT

I'm really not very impressed with the article.

The gender issue just confuses things and they provide a perfectly
rational reason for why the gender difference exists (in the same way that
there's an age, nationality, education level, career-path bias to
open-source). The only solution is more female coders, and it will happen.
As an aside, I wonder what the ratio of female coders between large
corporates and small corporates is compared to the male ratio. I bet
female coders are largely at the big corporates rather than the small, and
ignoring a few exceptions, big corporates are not likely environments for
open-source as they become so insular.

If we remove the gender parts of this article, we basically get something
that says that open-source coding will not succeed if it continues to be a
group of coders doing things that interest coders. ie) in their eyes the
same number of open-source coders should be working on mythtv as are
working on linux or eclipse, because each product is equally important. In
fact, mythtv should be more important than eclipse as there are far more
potential PVR customers than developers out there.

This is completely true. If we were a large company pondering our product
plan, we'd agree that bringing out a games console is a better move than
trying to improve our developer IDE in terms of simple profit margin. But
we're not. We're a community working on the things that interest our
community.

The open-source coding community leads the way in showing how communities
can group together, especially using the Internet as a backbone, to solve
problems that normally would require a large corporate and a subscription
model, but it isn't a development team to work on all the world's
problems. There are other communities (which definitely overlap the
open-source coding community) to do that.

In the end, I think the only thing that will hurt us is if the people who
shape the future of computing stop being those who are most interested in
computing. The only way that seems likely to happen are a) if computing
becomes easy, and then we're all out of a job, or b) governments/lawyers
decide to decide the future.

(The success of open-source coding on b) is very impressive thanks to the
  wonderful legal work of the FSF. )

--

Some directed notes:

* The domination of Apple laptops at open-source conventions shows the
adoration with which FLOSS developers have greeted Apple's user interface.
In fact, I think we represent the only new market for Apple' computers
recently.

* Python/Apache are terrible projects to look at. These are established
communities towards the core of coding (not as deep as Linux, but close).
Instead start looking at a higher level at open community projects
concerning things that affect non-coders.

Sorry for the spam, but you asked and it's Friday evening at 6pm :)
Killing time while the rush-hour dies.

Hen