www-community mailing list archives

From Bill Stoddard <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: Open Source, Cold Shoulder (fwd): One woman's comments
Date Tue, 19 Oct 2004 21:42:26 GMT
Bill Stoddard wrote:
> Henri Yandell wrote:
>

>> On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Julie MacNaught wrote:
>>
>>> I am a big corporation's employee (IBM), not an individual contributor.
>>

>> My current pet theory is that due to quotas,
>

> Dang, so much for sensitivity and respect...
>
> Bill

Henri, your email could be interpreted in an unfavorable way but I know you had no ill intent
and I should
have added a :-) to my comment. :-)

soap box:

No one wants to be thought of as 'a quota'.  The US policy of Affirmative Action is often
called a "quota
system" by people who are against it. AA would be a quota system only if one assumes that
there are no members
of a so called "protected class" (women, some racial minorities, etc) that are capable of
doing the job. The
fact is, there are lots of really talented folks that are members of 'protected classes' and
companies like
IBM aggressively recruit strong talent wherever they find it. Rightly so imho. My personal
opinion (based
solely on my experiences inside a big US multinational company) is that AA has about outlived
its usefulness.
No sane recruiter ignores talent based on gender, sexual preference or race and those that
do deserve what's
coming to them (failure in the marketplace).

Julie, Thanks for your post. I think your observation is spot on. Women are, on average, not
as assertive as
men in mixed company. Communicating via a mailing list 'hangs you out there' so to speak on
the assertiveness
scale.  I know in my early days in the Apache HTTP Server community, I had my head handed
to me on a platter
on a couple of occasions (by someone whose opinion I trust and respect, fwiw). That's a pretty
typical
experience I expect. Those types of experiences tend to filter communities for a certain set
of personality
traits; being averse to confrontation is not one of the traits folks in the Apache HTTP Server
community tend
to have, for better or worse. :-)

Bill