www-community mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Open Source, Cold Shoulder (fwd)
Date Sat, 09 Oct 2004 08:00:52 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Henri Yandell wrote:
>
>> I'm really not very impressed with the article.
>
> case in point?

What I mean by that is, look at us, read our style in replying. We like
to be slick and sharp, and sometimes email is a form of word-based chess
playing made with quotes and (smart) elisions.

I looked at LinuxChix.org and, I have to say, seeing all those women
ranked and doing some job I think to myself: what a nicer place the ASF
will be with some women in the house.

I lived with male roomates before and other friends' too: it's just not
as good (I live only with roommates from both sexes, if gay even
better). It's not about doing the dishes, or about having to take a look
at them when they got out of the shower or things like that, is the
little touch, the vibe of mutual yet resonating differences in how we
perceive reality and how that shapes the environment in a better way.

why don't women come in? for the same reason why girls put "girls-only"
on craigslist. A women in an established full-man house will just feel
out of place.

Oh, yeah, smarty pants, if you read FLOSS it's just about crap? scratch
taht surface a little, would you?

Now, re-read that sentence.

I know Ben can take it. He will probably smile at it. He will probably
like me even more after that.

Now, imagine the author of that paper reading Ben's comment. Will she
take it like that? Sure she doesn't know Ben, she doesn't understand
that if he does not say something bad, it means he felt it was "good
enough". Silence is probably the best complient you can get from him.

Imagine living in a house where teh ASF board members lived together.

[mental image of stefano running out of the house screaming]

Look at us. Yeah, us, alpha geeks!

A little flowers on the table might not be enough to get the alpha
geek-ness go away, but, know what?, it's not the result (which is going
to be pathetic anyway, and they know that already), it's the effort!

I really strongly hope that efforts like linuxchix.org take off... in a
few years, *we* might be using female aliases to go overthere and be
able to start questions without having to spend a few months ahead of
time to know enough not to look like idiots (or using the "violent tone"
just to mask our knowledge lacks with arrogance).

Or maybe, I'm all wrong. And it's their fault. And we are cool and they
are a bunch of losers. So let's go back and play. Where were we? Who's
up for a D&D game? [sound of stefano scratching ass]

--
Stefano.