www-community mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Open Source, Cold Shoulder (fwd)
Date Wed, 13 Oct 2004 05:44:02 GMT
--On Tuesday, October 12, 2004 9:34 PM +0200 Santiago Gala
<sgala@hisitech.com> wrote:

> You can separate both functions, i.e. development or patching and code
> review/quality control. The linux kernel is beginning to be a good
> example, where you have:
> - Linus (vanilla) tree as a reference value (think Fed Reserve)
> - Andrew Morton (mm) patches, making it a higher risk (think Dow Jones)
> - Full preemption and other special or highly experimental patches
> (think Nasdaq or even Hedge Funds)
> - Hardware manufacturers trying to get their code in, to get more wide
> support for their hardware.
> - Other people suggesting improvements around (I've sent three typos
> recently) just because they don't want to maintain their needed pieces.

The Linux kernel is a great process example if you aren't trying to actually
cooperate in the development process or build a *real* brand.  Linus views
RedHat, Debian, Mandrake, etc. as the ones who are responsible for dealing
with users.  It's also a very ego-centric model - perhaps some developers like
that.  I don't care for it at all.  -- justin