www-community mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>
Subject Re: Open Source, Cold Shoulder (fwd)
Date Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:49:54 GMT
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 October 2004 16:44, Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:
>
>> In the end, the majority of the 99% must adjust to the 1% of idiots.
>
> Hmmm.... At a 2 magnitude superiority in manpower, the majority is unable to
> keep them in check, and weed them out? Is that a matter of lack of tools, or
> doesn't the majority care?

You can weed them out... but they can come back too, under a different
name.  The Apache wiki defacement was done by spammers and by one person
who just wanted to see the goatse picture... but all anonymous save for an
IP address.  Defacement and repair is tolerable when we're talking about
text content, whether it's our documentation or Wikipedia; but it's not
tolerable when we're talking about code, despite the peer review that
commits (usually) get.

But, I am really interested in seeing you run an experiment on this, and
watch how well it scales.  And if there's things we could do to improve
our own processes and tools - like modifying Subversion in some way to
allow for open branching so that submitted patches are a part of the
system rather than passed around as deltas in the bug database or on the
mailing lists.

But let's talk more about it here as you start seeing results....

 	Brian