www-community mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: Open Source, Cold Shoulder (fwd)
Date Sat, 09 Oct 2004 11:58:47 GMT
El sáb, 09-10-2004 a las 06:11 +0100, Ben Laurie escribió:
> Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> > Comments?  Is there anything the community thinks we could do to address
> > the situation?
>
> Try to encourage sensible writing?
>
> I mean, it'd be cool if there were more women in open source, but the
> whole idea that open source should rely less on clue and stop being
> about writing code is just completely dim.
>
> BTW, isn't it amusing that as soon as you see "FLOSS" you can be 99%
> sure that what follows is going to be clueless or irrelevant? Or
> probably both.

FLOSS is an acronym mostly used by the "politically correct" people. If
you look at the term, is is completely inclusive, trying to avoid
pissing anybody.

> BTW, supporting this whole argument with a discussion about women in
> computer science is even more daft. Their own quote sums it up:
> "Computer science is no more related to the computer than astronomy is
> related to the telescope". Well, wake up and smell the coffee, boys and
> girls, open source is _all about_ computers.

It could be a problem with non-English speaking. Typical "Computer
Science" term in Spanish is "Informática", from French "Informatique",
implying more IT (Information Technologies) meaning.

While Apache has always been close to the algorithms and protocols, we
are having more "social" information activity lately, and I can't avoid
seeing it happening more in the future.

Women tends to thrive more when they see the social component.

Disclaimer: though "All generalizations are false" is a "contradictio in
terminis", being itself a generalization, it is close enough to be true.

Regards
Santiago
--
Santiago Gala <sgala@hisitech.com>