www-community mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: IDE licenses
Date Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:26:08 GMT
At 12:00 PM 9/21/2004, Ross Gardler wrote:
>Felipe Leme wrote:
>>Hi all,
>>I had to talk with MyEclipseIDE (http://myeclipseide.com) support
>>regarding work-related issues, so I took the opportunity to inquiry if
>>they would provide free licenses for ASF committers (as someone
>>mentioned in an internal list, IDEA provided some licenses for Ant
>>committers some months ago, so why not try others...). Here is the
>>answer I got:
>>
>>>3.  We would also be happy to provide free subscriptions to Apache
>>>committers, but I need to be able to answer management's question on how
>>>does that benefit MyEclipse.  Any suggestions on how to make the case for it?
>>
>>So, I'd like you to help me 'making a case for it'. A couple of reasons
>>I thought about were:
>
>I'm not sure why I would want a license to myEclipse when (as far as I can
>tell) everything in it is in the Open Source version of Eclipse. I suppose
>there is value in having someone else sift through all the possible
>plugins and configure them accordingly if you are working in that field.
>
>Regardless of the merits of myEclipse (or otherwise), I would say the most
>compelling argument for free licenses for ASF folk is that Eclipse already
>includes a large amount of ASF code and so myEclipse would not exist
>without the ASF.  As each day passes more and more functionality is being
>added to Eclipse (and hence myEclipse) through ASF projects.
>
>To be honest I feel that the need for the ASF to make a "case for it" is
>in itself quite insulting. They (Genuitec) even have the names of some ASF
>projects on their home page. Yet a search of their site for "Apache" only
>reveals a couple of forum threads.

The initial reaction of Genuitec is quite typical. It is better qualified
as ignorant, not arrogant. If the ASF is comfortable with software
donations, then we should make it easy for companies such as Genuitec to to
beg us to use their software in exchange for recognition. When we initiate
contact, we are placing ourselves in a position of inferiority.

Any sort of recognition by a large ASF project is worth much more than the
software being donated. Whether we want to leverage that value or not, is a
different matter altogether.

--
Ceki Gülcü