www-community mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Board Commentary: Metro and Avalon
Date Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:08:53 GMT

Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> I have quoted a fraction of a long mail, with the consent of the "victim".

It's customary to say so in the beginning of the mail.

> If that is too much exposure of the Board activities, then I suggest
> you take disciplinary actions against me. (Hold on, there aer no
> procedures for that, are there now?)

You don't seem to understand that procedures are not necessary to take
action, they are not laws (and even those have some leeway). Our 'laws'
simply state that the board and the PMC in second order have full powers
and responsibility over Apache and it's projects.

   http://www.apache.org/foundation/bylaws.html

And in the above document there is a way of making an Apache member
emeritus:

"Section 4.4. Involuntary Conversion of Membership to Emeritus Status.
Upon an affirmative vote of a two-thirds majority of the members of the
corporation, the membership of a member shall be converted into an
emeritus membership."

Since you don't seem sensible to common sense, then just read the
ISO9000:2000 spec (codenamed Vision 2000). It describes how a company
can be run as a system, with procedures and such. You will see,
especially in the general part, that it describes how every productive
entity is made of people, not rules, and that the relations and
interdependencies between them are more important than a codified procedure.

Ok, step forward: even if you don't understand why, look at the facts.

How many in Apache think you are right?
Given the replies on this list and on other lists, I see that most do
not agree. The ones that don't write are surely ok enough with what
others say, that they do not need to chime in.

So, if most of the Apache members do not agree, is it safe to say that
Apache itself ATM is not in line with your reasoning?

Ok, next step: are you then trying to save Apache from itself?

Reread the above sentence.

Please do.

How does it sound?

If you really believe that the Apache way is THE way, then make what you
believe Apache is somewhere else. Just like a project you don't like...
take the code, change it, repackage it, do what you want as long as you
give credit.

Just don't expect to change people, as it will never happen, especially
if you are attacking them.

I don't have much more to say about this I'm afraid.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -