www-community mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: IDE licenses
Date Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:00:56 GMT
Felipe Leme wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I had to talk with MyEclipseIDE (http://myeclipseide.com) support
> regarding work-related issues, so I took the opportunity to inquiry if
> they would provide free licenses for ASF committers (as someone
> mentioned in an internal list, IDEA provided some licenses for Ant
> committers some months ago, so why not try others...). Here is the
> answer I got:
>

>>3.  We would also be happy to provide free subscriptions to Apache
>>committers, but I need to be able to answer management's question on
>>how does that benefit MyEclipse.  Any suggestions on how to make the
>>case for it?
>

> So, I'd like you to help me 'making a case for it'. A couple of reasons
> I thought about were:

I'm not sure why I would want a license to myEclipse when (as far as I
can tell) everything in it is in the Open Source version of Eclipse. I
suppose there is value in having someone else sift through all the
possible plugins and configure them accordingly if you are working in
that field.

Regardless of the merits of myEclipse (or otherwise), I would say the
most compelling argument for free licenses for ASF folk is that Eclipse
already includes a large amount of ASF code and so myEclipse would not
exist without the ASF.  As each day passes more and more functionality
is being added to Eclipse (and hence myEclipse) through ASF projects.

To be honest I feel that the need for the ASF to make a "case for it" is
in itself quite insulting. They (Genuitec) even have the names of some
ASF projects on their home page. Yet a search of their site for "Apache"
only reveals a couple of forum threads.

Ross