www-community mailing list archives

From "J.Pietschmann" <piet...@apache.org>
Subject Non-ASCII chars in Java comments
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2004 20:51:39 GMT
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
> Some projects with issues (some JDK 1.5, some not) are listed here:
>     http://brutus.apache.org/gump/jdk15/project_todos.html

Neat!

I did a quick check of the BCEL issues, and they are exclusively
problems with non-ASCII characters. While the BCEL problems are
easily fixed (bullet characters, probably cut&pasted from a HTML
page, and a few german umlauts), we had a similar problem with
a FOP source file some times ago, which was not as easily resolved,
because it was an email address containing the characters causing
the troubles. Ultimately, the originator allowed to pull the
address and have his name respelled in a romanized form.

Related questions:
1. Javac allows Java source file encodings with a greater range
  of characters, in particular UTF-8. Unfortunately, there is
  no standardized auto-detection mechanism (as for XML).
  Does anybody wants to discuss how projects/the whole ASF should
  deal with non-ASCII encodings for Java files?
2. How should situations be handled where characters which can't
  be encoded are important, like in email addresses or IRLs
  (internationalized URLs)?

How do Perl developers with this issues?

Regards
J.Pietschmann