www-community mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: proposed ammendment to mirroring policy
Date Wed, 25 Aug 2004 15:52:58 GMT

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Daniel F. Savarese wrote:
>
>>   Disclaimer:  The presence of a mirror on this list does not
>>   constitute an endorsement by the Apache Software Foundation
>>   of the organization's business or other activities.  The
>>   Apache Software Foundation lists all mirror sites that
>>   request to be listed and meet the criteria specified at:
>>   http://www.apache.org/info/how-to-mirror.html
>
> +1

Some issues:

1. Are we going to put a disclaimer on all external links from apache.org
sites?  I *hate* sites that do that sort of thing.  Web users understand
that links, be they informational or advertising, don't constitute
endorsements.

2. There is a major operational issue here.  Getting all the projects to
make changes to their download pages is a very difficult proposition.  Who
is going to work on tracking down each one to get the change made?

Having said that, I do believe that providing as much information possible
to our downloaders is a good thing.  But lets make it less legalistic and
more informative, like:

"Apache mirrors are independently operated according to the guidelines
specified on our <a href=...>how to mirror</a> page.  Since the Apache
Software Foundation cannot verify the contents of every mirror, it is
important that you check the pgp or md5 signature after your download."

Joshua.