www-community mailing list archives

From "James Mitchell" <jmitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Playboy mirror logo?
Date Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:01:20 GMT
How do you propose we do that?  How do you define "large segment of our
users"?

Is it:
 * The people who download the software.
 * The people who install the software.
 * The people who make the decisions that allow us
   to download and install the software.
 * The people who are stupid enough to believe what the
   Microsoft sales force tells them about Open Source
   software and what sites The Apache Software Foundation
   links to.

I fear that you will _never_ be able to poll the "large segment of our
users".

I don't claim to speak for this large segment.  I am only one business
owner/developer who happens to monitor these discussions and participate
(time permitting) in this community.

For what it's worth, I've already gotten feedback from an existing client of
mine who has several of Apache subproject's "powered by" icons on their site
(they provide Financial Services).  The are concerned about this and they
want me to keep them posted with a decision.  Funny, the IT guy said this
would probably hit the media and have a positive effect for the
anti-Microsoft camp simply by boosting exposure for Apache.  On the flip
side though, it will affect the decision makers who let us put "powered by"
links on their application.

Anyway, I'm sure there is no right or wrong answer to this and I'll support
whatever decision is made.  Even if is the wrong one :P

--
James Mitchell
EdgeTech, Inc.