www-community mailing list archives

From "James Mitchell" <jmitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Policy (Was: Playboy mirror logo?)
Date Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:39:31 GMT
[resend]

For the record (and if I wasn't clear before)  I am NOT against playboy
being a mirror or Apache using the mirror (whether it is being blocked or
not).  I AM against putting a link and/or image that links from Apache to
playboy.

Trust me, I've been all over playboy.com for reasons I don't care to
elaborate on (what can I say, I'm a guy ;).  But I will not sit idly by and
let others (who apparently don't run their own business) put my company at
risk.

I always try to give credit where credit is due (powered by logo and link).
My clients (all but 1) are not skilled enough to want to download something
from a mirror and realize...."oh shit!!, look where its coming from!".
That's not likely to happen.  They _would_ have a problem if one of _their_
clients or customers called and said they clicked their way from their site
to Apache, and on to Playboy.  Hell, I might even get sued.

Here's a little test for you.  Ask the eclipse project and/or IBM if they
would add playboy's logo and link if they agreed to provide some bandwidth
for them.  What answer do you think you will get back?  I can almost assure
you that if it is not "no", it will be "hell no".

Do you even realize how many web sites out there have "powered by" logos and
links to Apache and the various subprojects?

I am begging you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  DO NOT put their logo or link on our (yes,
OUR) web site.  You can't even imagine what the media will do with this if
you do.  God help us all.

If you do this, it will only hurt Apache's name and reputation.

> > If the current mirroring policy is broken, then it should be
> > said so with comments and suggestions on how to fix it.

+1 for rethinking the policy

P.S. Someone please fix the reply-to for this list, my mail client (as much
as it sucks) keeps trying to reply to the person, not the mailing list.

--
James Mitchell
EdgeTech, Inc.