www-community mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Inexpensive Lists
Date Wed, 21 Jul 2004 22:40:22 GMT
At 05:33 PM 7/21/2004, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>--On Wednesday, July 21, 2004 4:10 PM -0600 "Adam R. B. Jack" <ajack@trysybase.com>
wrote:

>>Why do you keep assuming it is for chit chat? If it were java@apache.org
>>and it was clear (community imposed/whatever) to be about Java @ ASF,
>>wouldn't that make sense? Aren't there issues (i.e. supporting JDK1.5,
>>not supporting JDK 1.2, that are good cross-project topics?) I'm not
>>suggesting ASF host forums, but a list to discuss language
>>issues/tips-tricks and help w/ fixes/changes, whatever.
>
>I don't see why the ASF should be involved.  There are lots of other suitable forums for
help with Python, Java, C#, etc.  Must we host them all?  I don't think so.  We're not in
the business of competing with them.

I think one thing folks are asking for is an infrastructure-dev@apache.list,
one where idle questions and chitchat about cool solutions and code for
our servers and sites would be shared.

But I agree with Justin, beyond this purpose, I just don't see the need to
replace the vital external lists that already exist in the java/perl/php/python
worlds, etc.

Bill