www-community mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Inexpensive Lists (was: Re: Python anybody?)
Date Wed, 21 Jul 2004 22:35:59 GMT
--On Wednesday, July 21, 2004 6:22 PM -0400 Henri Yandell
<bayard@generationjava.com> wrote:

> Do you have the same feelings for members@?

Yes and no.  Yes, in the sense that I do wish the S/N ratio on members@
were better (it has gotten better as of late).  But, it also exists as a
communication channel for members.  So, it's required such that
conversations with the membership can occur electronically and privately.

> It seems to me that members@ is akin to a community-dev list, while
> community@ is akin to a community-users list. Any reason to keep members@
> should exist for community@.

community@ has no foundational requirement for its presence.  It's also
optional - lots of people ostensibly in our community unsubscribed or never
subscribed because of the poor S/N ratio.  members@ isn't optional in that
sense...

> list. Go read groklaw. However, discussions on whether a python community
> should exist seem to be perfectly designed for the community list (unless
> they cross-post to all python interested mailing lists), as it pertains
> to the future of how Apache balances itself.

Language-oriented TLPs have repeatedly demonstrated themselves to be poor
overseers of code.  The 'balancing of the ASF' brings back horrors of the
reorg@ list which was another of those misguided lists...  -- justin