www-community mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Inexpensive Lists
Date Thu, 22 Jul 2004 13:07:12 GMT

Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>Apart from the fact that you have put much more energy in talking
>>against this than creating the list (hint hint ;-) ...
>
> I don't think you have any idea how much goes into creating a new list.  I
> just did a quick count.  There are 16+ commands to execute on 3 ASF servers,
> plus a file in CVS that needs to be edited, committed, and updated on
> minotaur.  Per list.  And a dev or user list is different from a commit
> record list which differs from a private list.

Then we have a *big* problem.

An app or scripts to make this easy are not only a nice thing to have,
but a hard necessity as I see now.

"Do it yourself" scales, and I would think that any ASF member should be
able to create a list, given evident consensus. We did the same for the
Incubator files, remember?

The fact that Apache members (that are thus trusted) cannot do it on
their own (lack of knowledge and too much effort) and must bug the poor
infra guys is a big problem.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -