www-community mailing list archives

From Julie MacNaught <jma...@apache.org>
Subject [Fwd: [Fwd: OASIS]]
Date Wed, 07 Jul 2004 15:16:25 GMT
As I understand this, OASIS wants to grant Apache members (i.e.
committers), the ability to join OASIS committees as if Apache were a
member company.  This would be really handy for ASF committers who are
either independent or work for a company that does not belong to OASIS.

This is a good thing for us (the ASF), and has no downside that I can
see.  I agree that the collaborative working model for ASF projects is
significantly different from OASIS projects, but that speaks to the
nature of the problem.   Standards development is tough work and it
requires a lot of direct collaboration (i.e. face-to-face or telecon)
time to get issues worked out.  TCs are a lot of work, but it's
important work.

If an individual ASF committer is interested enough in the topic of an
OASIS technical committee, presumbably with the intention of working on
an implementation, then the individual committer will have to
participate in telecons appropriately.   Attendance at face-to-face
meetings is not required and a dial in number is normally provided.

The WSRP4J and WSS4J are 2 projects off the top of my head that overlap
with OASIS TCs.  I am an ASF committer on WSRP4J and a member of the
WSRP OASIS Technical Committee as an observer.  I am sure there are
quite of few ASF folk are also OASIS folk, but currently these can only
be folk whose employer is an OASIS member.

We should make it as easy as possible to collaborate and participate
with OASIS TCs so that we can use our extensive knowledge and experience
to guide and influence standards that we plan to implement.