www-community mailing list archives

From "Antonio Gallardo" <agalla...@agssa.net>
Subject Re: [ANN] HP memo forecasts MS patent attacks on free software
Date Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:22:17 GMT
Henning Schmiedehausen dijo:
> Actually, I considered this article either badly researched or the
> author misinformed.
>
> They were talking about "attacking the GPL because it has a destruction
> clause and then mention
>
>> They [MS] are specifically upset about Samba, Apache and Sendmail.
>
> Samba		Yes, GPL, right
> Apache		Apache License, as we all know
> Sendmail	Basically BSD License with %/BSD/Sendmail/g applied.
>
> so only one of the three examples is really relevant to their idea
> to leverage the GPL against open source.
>
> Once again, it shows that the ASF did a wise move in choosing another
> license. :-)

While your are right about the licenses cocktail. I think the comment is
OT. The main point to post the article to the list, was let the rest of us
know we are on target. That is all. Perhaps 2 years from now we will know
what is prepared for us. If this is not already prepared. ;-)

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo